New York Slice Transplant

FIND A PIZZA


View Find the Pizzeria nearest to you. in a larger map

Thursday, April 16, 2009

D'amores Pizza

The UCLA campus has a lot of kids who like pizza, so naturally there are a lot of pizza joints to fill their mouths. There is a little area called Westwood Village just south of the campus, where you can find many college aged kids, thus many pizza places, including,  Enzo's,  Lamonica's, and D'Amores.  This is what I call the UCLA big 3.... I guess.   I hit them all up at once.  After some smaller ones like, Italian Express, and Angelino's I went to D'Amore's Famous Pizza.  Using a page out of Famous Rays book.  In fact it's kind of like Ray's because there are many names for it, D'Amore's Famous Pizza, D'Amore's Pizza Connection, or just plain D'Amore's.  Either way I think they are all the same owner.  
D'amore's actually has pizza by the slice, which is rare out here.  In N.Y. they would have a sign especially to say they DON'T have slices.  So once again, L.A. the opposite of N.Y.  Of course in this neighborhood it might be the trend, I believe Lamonica's and Enzo's both have slices too.  
D'Amore's has many locations.  Soon to be 7, I believe.  So how does the slice hold up from one to the next is something for a whole other blog.  For now I will assume that this location is the same as the rest.  
I ordered a medium I believe it was 14'' for 16$ but I can't quite remember.  It was a cheese and this is what it looked like:

It actually wasn't too bad.  The sauce was pretty light and sweet.  The cheese was light as well.  The flavor over all was kind of bland tasting.  There was some spice sprinkled on the top but it didn't seem to have much effect.  There was one flavor however, that was throwing me off.  Something that just seemed a little unusual about it.  I couldn't put my finger on it and I couldn't really say that I liked it.  So it wasn't completely bland.  The crust was extra thin and extra crispy.  It had a cornmeal bottom. 
(I want to make an observation here and someone can tell me if I am wrong, but I feel like every time the crust has cornmeal on the bottom, it is crispy.  Probably this is just coincidence, but is it possible that the crust cooks differently with cornmeal than it does with flour?) 
Anyway the crust was pretty good, a little too thin and crispy for my liking, it lacked a chewy or doughy texture to it.  It was just crunchy all the way through.  It had a little substance in between, not like Stone Fire Pizza, which is my go to, overly thin and crispy crust.

So bottom line is that the pizza is not the best by any means and a little pricey too I have to say. However, it does stand out from Enzo's and Lamonica's and even Italian Express which is something some people may enjoy.  Enzo's is a similarly bland pizza but much greasier and heavier than D'Amore's.  Lamonica's is the only place that claims N.Y. style pizza and is really the farthest from it out of the 3.  With a thicker buttery crust.  So thats the low down in Westwood Village.  I won't say what's better, I'll let you decided which style you like.

For other pizza in this area click here

*VIDEO COMING SOON


1136 Westwood Blvd. Los Angeles (reviewed location) 310-209-1212
7137 Winnetka ave Canoga Park -- 22601 PCH Malibu -- 2869 E Thousand Oaks Blvd Thousand Oaks 
300 N Lantana, Camarillo -- 18663 Ventura Blvd, Tarzana -- Coming SOON 3rd Street Hollywood
Price: $$
Overall:


D'Amore's Pizza on UrbanspoonD'Amore's Pizza on UrbanspoonD'Amore's Pizza on UrbanspoonD'Amore's Pizza Connection on UrbanspoonD'Amore's Pizza Connection on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. D'Amore's advertises itself as the country's best pizza as determined on Citysearch.com. Just not the case. In fact, "why bother?" would be the first comment regarding D'Amore.

    ReplyDelete

Pizza Video Reviews

Find Your Local Pizza:

Pizza name or zip code

LA Pizza