New York Slice Transplant

FIND A PIZZA


View Find the Pizzeria nearest to you. in a larger map

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hard times Pizza

I was in Silverlake, on my way to Nicky D’s Pizzeria, when I saw Hard Times Pizza.  When there’s one pizza place, there is always another, so I kept my eyes open.  You know you have a pizza problem when you stop for pizza on the way to getting pizza.

        I stopped in quick to have a slice.  The smell of freshly baked pizza hit me right away, I love that smell.  The place claimed to have authentic N.Y. thin crust pizza.  The front of the menu had a buffalo nickel on it. I suppose to represent the hard times when the buffalo nickel was in mint, between 1913 to 1938, the depression roughly.  I just put that in there to make me look smarter.
Anyway, they had display slices that had been cooked weeks ago it seemed and didn’t look very appetizing.  Thankfully it was only for display, they got my slice from somewhere else.  I got a slice of cheese for 2.17.
I since have ordered a whole pie.  I ordered a 14 inch for $12.  The pizza was just alright.  The sauce was a thicker, heavy sauce that was heavily seasoned with oregano.  There was a lot of both cheese and sauce on the pizza, and had good amount of oil on top.  The crust was somewhat crispy on the bottom but the consistency of it just seemed bland.  The outer edge of the crust was more of the same, there was no puff or bubbles, just flat, boring and plain.  The crust was on the thick side too.  Not thin enough to be "authentic N.Y. style".  The place was average and if I lived near by I could possibly settle for it, but when you have Nicky D's so close I'd go there.  This is different though, and people might and do, love it.  
It must have been hard times indeed.  

2664 Griffith Park Blvd.  Silverlake 90039
(323) 661-5656
Open: Mon-Sat: 11-11 Sun : 12-11
Price: $
Overall:

Hard Times Pizza Company on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. I've had a 2.5 experience at Hard Times myself....BUT, I've also had a 3.5-4 on occaison as well. So, it might be worth another stop in for a slice on the way to Nicky D's....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the... they are super big, I guess I should stop now... maybe on night, thanks for share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice one. As when i made a look into it, this post seems to be really good. Nice post. Thanks a lot for this great information i like it so much.

    ReplyDelete

Pizza Video Reviews

Find Your Local Pizza:

Pizza name or zip code

LA Pizza