New York Slice Transplant

FIND A PIZZA


View Find the Pizzeria nearest to you. in a larger map

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Slice Truck


I remember a not so distant day when a food truck meant tacos. Taco Hunt.com But lately there has been a flooding of food trucks all over, from Korean BBQ to grilled cheese and now of course pizza too. It all amounts to just more traffic on the highways. It is actually hard to go driving around and not see one. Maybe a food truck will make me something while we are sitting in traffic on the freeway together, now that'd be something great.


Well I finally tracked down the slice truck. I hit them up twice in a week. The first time was at a Silverlake music festival. Then I though I would try them again in their natural environment. Their usual spot is down by USC. Pizza for the kids. Don't know what else USC has in the way of good pizza so it is probably a pretty profitable spot for them.
I just got a slice this time, usually I go with a full large pizza but I figured it is called Slice Truck so if the slices aren't good what's the point.
I have to say it was a pretty enjoyable pizza. I didn't notice any difference from the festival slice to the regular slice. I guess I managed to get fresh slices each time.
The pizza is thin crust NY style, but the crust is a hair thicker than your typical thin crust. It is semi crispy crust, but not charred or crunchy in any way. It has a good tough and chewy consistency and it is not too dry or stale. The sauce and cheese are both put on very generously. Though are in pretty good balance with each other. The sauce doesn't stand out all that much. It is a sweet sauce with a light oregano flavoring. There is an also generous covering of parmesan cheese and basil on top.
The basil and parmesan help disguise the pizza as being a bit more complex than it actually is. I think the pizza is pretty basic and balances on a line between genuine NY style and generic Middle American style. This may sound like an insult, it's not. I just try to classify pizza for the sake of you people and blog. The point is I really enjoyed the pizza, I think it had good flavor and texture and would get it again if it was near by.

The slice truck like most other food trucks has many different outlets on the internet, from Facebook and twitter to a blog of their own. Their blog is filled with random stuff you can read while you eat a slice. They also post reviews by costumers of their place, pulled randomly from yelp, which can be pretty entertaining.
Here is an interesting article on their blog that talks about the geometry of pizza.

Jefferson Blvd and McClintock Ave (but also, everywhere)
Price: $
Overall:

8 comments:

  1. Tough break for SliceTruck. Hate to think we're in the same league as Johnnie's New York Pizzeria (both got 3 slices).

    What was your main concern with our pizza? What put us in the 3 slice mediocrity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bumped it up to 3 1/2 slices. I realized it wasn't fair - because I did like it better than Johnnies.
    Nevertheless, don't put too much weight on my ratings. The review is what will tell you if the pizza is good or not. The rating doesn't explain itself, it is just a number.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tough break for SliceTruck. Hate to think we're in the same league as Johnnie's New York Pizzeria (both got 3 slices).What was your main concern with our pizza? What put us in the 3 slice mediocrity?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious pizza, I really like this kind of junk food because I would like to have the chance of read more about it, thanks for sharing it is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super blog and nice to read. I really liked your blog and would like to know more about the topic. Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mango and lychee. Usually found making its rounds at pasar malams in Sri Petaling and Seri Kembangan, Best Food Truck In LA

    ReplyDelete

Pizza Video Reviews

Find Your Local Pizza:

Pizza name or zip code

LA Pizza