New York Slice Transplant

FIND A PIZZA


View Find the Pizzeria nearest to you. in a larger map

Monday, March 30, 2009

Bossa Nova

"Perhaps this is the way Brazilians do it."
Here is yet another place that doesn't specialize in pizza, and yet another place that my girlfriend Kelly would tell me not to bother with. Not because it isn't good, I have eaten there more times than not, and it is a great place. It just isn't strictly about pizza, even though they have more than 20 different toppings combinations. Which in my opinion, are some of the best topping a place can have. The place as you can see is labeled brazilian cuisine, which seems to be similar to Italian except with more skirt steak and hummus. This of course is a very laymen observation on culinary culture. I only know pizza, and pizza is Italian, or greek as some people say. Anyway...
Like I said, they have many different toppings, that all sound appealing. I ordered a simple prosciutto, mozzarella and oregano on half, the other half Margherita. The large 16'', is between 15 and 20 dollars depending on what you get.
The pizza I always remembered being pretty good here. Perhaps being in a restaurant setting especially one that does not specialize in pizza, makes you think of pizza differently almost out of context from other great pizzas. You expect something different or perhaps you expect nothing at all. Today I picked up a pizza like I have with every other place, and I expected everything. Unfortunately I was let down.
I could tell there was something wrong when he handed me the box. I had to hold it with 2 hands because it so was heavy. The reason of course, as you can see was the cheese. It was put on heavy, really heavy. I have to say the cheese was fresh and milky tasting and tasted very good, just way, way too much of it. Then you throw the prosciutto on top and the whole thing is a mess, the floppy thin crust can't support the rest of the pizza. Luckily after 10 minutes the cheese gets pulled off when you grab a slice and the crust doesn't need to support the cheese because it already fell off. The crust is the same story, very dense and bready, not crispy at all. This was cooked in a wood fired oven, even. Again the crust tasted pretty good and wasn't dry, so it was enjoyable to eat, but to thick in the back and too flimsy in the middle. The sauce between these two monsters was barely tastable. Even the strong basil leaves had trouble staying afloat and reaching your taste buds with all the cheese.

So unfortunately, when you stack it up to the others it isn't any better than average. The ingredients are fresh but the ratio and overall style and technique are off. Perhaps this is the way the Brazilians do it. I love the place I love the food and one day when I am eating there I'll probably order the pizza again, but I won't ever look at it the same way. (It is like the pizza cheated on me...)

Bossa Nova - 7181 Sunset Blvd. West Hollywood (reviewed location)
212 S. Beverly Drive Beverly hills
685 N. Robertson Blvd West Hollywood
10982 W. Pico Blvd. West LA
Price: $$
Overall:

Bossa Nova on Urbanspoon
Bossa Nova Brazilian Cuisine on Urbanspoon
Bossa Nova on Urbanspoon

Bossa Nova Brazilian Cuisine in Los Angeles

1 comment:

  1. Usually a great experience in WEHO or West LA. But buyer beware in Hollywood! I'm right on the delivery line between Hollywood and West Hollywood and boy is there a difference. The food from the Hollywood location is almost always wrong! And they NEVER redeliver. I end up having perpetual credits there for food that I then have to then pick up, because they will only redeliver if you PAY for it - even though it is there mistake in the first place. I don't usually write comments but, this sour experience has been confirmed by other friends of mine too. Also, that location is not the best for dining in. The staff are nice. The delivery guys are nice and fast. The MANAGEMENT seems determined to ruin the experience for the customers - very strange. I definitely feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette with my credit card when I call for take out. Be Afraid - very afraid!

    ReplyDelete

Pizza Video Reviews

Find Your Local Pizza:

Pizza name or zip code

LA Pizza