New York Slice Transplant

FIND A PIZZA


View Find the Pizzeria nearest to you. in a larger map

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Brooklyn Pizza and Pasta

The last place I wanted to hit on Pico Blvd. was one where I knew what to expect.  A place that can be spotted from many blocks away, with the giant Italian colored awning.  The place is pretty cool.  It's a big place with lots of booths and a big screen TV.  The design is interesting too.  When you walk in, you see only tables and walls.  No counter and no kitchen.  You have to go to the back and make a u-turn to find it.  The place is a stereotypical pizza joint to an exaggerated point.  Brick walls. checkered table clothes, and a huge clutter of Italian pop art.  
They serve slices, but I thought there would be a chance it was good, so I got a whole pie.   

I got a medium cheese pizza which was 12 dollars for a 14 inch.  Not too bad.  It looked pretty greasy when I opened the box.  I actually felt like I needed to pat out the oil on top with a napkin, something I don't usually do.  But pizza isn't exactly helping me get in shape, so I thought why not.  I had some high expectations for this, I guess just because of its name and because it says it's the best pizza in L.A.  It also on its menu says it gets its cheese from Brooklyn.  I don't doubt this to be true, but why?  Is Brooklyn known for their cheese?  Are there no good cheeses out here?  And besides where you get it from doesn't mean you are getting the right cheese.  You could get cheddar cheese straight from Wisconsin, but you don't want that on your pizza.  The cheese to me seemed not pure mozzarella, it didn't have a milky fresh taste and it was way, way too oily.  It seems like to me, fresh cheese is better than cheese from 3,000 miles away.  But maybe I am missing something.  
Other than the cheese rant, I don't have much to say about it.  It is not a terrible pizza by any means.  The crust wasn't too crispy, and was kind of stale tasting, but again not terrible.  It had a definite taste to it, that I can't put my finger on, perhaps it was the cheese.  Different than any place I have had yet, so I'll will give it credit for being original.  So I found myself enjoying the pizza, even though when I took each element individually (crust, sauce, cheese) it wasn't that good.  I think it comes down to the oil.  The oil dominated the pizza and dominated the flavor.  Who doesn't love the taste of oil, if you look past the fact that it's bad for your arteries, oil tastes good.  I feel it was oil that clouded my judgment.  Or perhaps it was the 2 pizzas I ate just a few moments ago.     
Anyway, I could get it again just for curiosity.  Or maybe for the grease that I am hooked on.  In a nut shell: it was just all right.

Here is a video of my expedition, if you dare.
Click Here for Parts 1 and parts 2

Brooklyn Pizza & Pasta - 9228 W Pico Blvd. 90035
Price: $
Overall:


Brooklyn Pizza & Pasta on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pizza Video Reviews

Find Your Local Pizza:

Pizza name or zip code

LA Pizza