FIND A PIZZA


View Find the Pizzeria nearest to you. in a larger map

Creepy

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Abbot's Pizza Company

Last night I took a drive to the West Side, Venice. My friend was having a party and the plan was to grab some food beforehand from Abbot's Pizza Company on Abbot Kinney Blvd. When we walked up, there was a line out the door and down the street, this place was poppin'. I thought it must be good pizza with all the traffic.

The line was taking forever just to order and we were in a rush so I walked up to the guy with the blue bandana and just ordered a large cheese from him instead, no waiting. He took care of us.
Actually we got half cheese, half mushroom; my good friend Kelly was with me and she had a craving for mushrooms. Even though I knew it was going to stink up my side of the pizza, I went with it. We got the large pizza, which I think was 16 inches for about 14$ pretty cheap. 45 minutes later after waiting to order and then waiting for the pizza, we finally got to eat. It looked great, darkened crispy crust, browned Mozzarella and a dark red sauce.
Now as you may or may not know, the big deal everyone makes with this place is the dough, it is bagel dough. Now I don't really know what the difference is and I can't say I could tell it was bagel dough. It did seem a little crunchier and heartier, like a bagel would be I guess. The main thing, I think, is that you can get sesame seeds or poppy seeds on the crust, which makes it a lot more bagel like. Getting past the idea of bagels, the crust was extremely crispy, blackened on the bottom, with a little charred taste. The outer edge was tough and thick and crispy. It was very thin and had a softer inside. The cheese was fine, while the sauce was a thicker pasty sauce. I really liked the flavor and the extreme crisp of the crust. However, to get it so crispy they just cooked it longer, which I think resulted in drying it out a little. The sauce being a little thicker also didn't help bring moisture to the bread.
The pizza over all was above average, certainly, but why there is a line around the block seems a little ridiculous. Maybe it's the only pizza in town. Maybe its just so hyped up with the whole bagel idea everyone wants to go there, I don't know. If you do eat there, definitely order in advance and try to avoid the over crowded place with delivery.

Abbot's Pizza Company
- 1407 Abbot Kinney Blvd. Venice, 90291
- 1811 Pico Blvd. Santa Monica 90405
Price: $
Overall:
Abbot's Pizza Company on Urbanspoon
Abbot's Pizza Co in Los Angeles

4 comments:

  1. this place is a disgrace that they even call it pizza....AVOID...this is american crap at it's finest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blog! So hungry now. Have you tried Earth, Wind and Flour? The crust is devoid of flavor but the cheese and sauce is addictive. I have them on speed dial.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gud - but only if you order it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it is nice that you can enjoy a relative good pizza cheaper. Specially for those that they are pizza lovers. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Pizza Video Reviews

Find Your Local Pizza:

Pizza name or zip code

LA Pizza