New York Slice Transplant

FIND A PIZZA


View Find the Pizzeria nearest to you. in a larger map

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Nicky D's Pizza


This is one of the few places I’ve found that has wood fire ovens. Another in the same town down the road is Il Capriccio. I heard good things about this place so I went to check it out. It was a pretty interesting place, on the second story of a log cabin looking place. I picked up a medium cheese pizza, not a large this time I guess I’m trying to watch my weight, ha. It was only $12 for a 14 inch, not too bad. I asked the guy if I could take a picture of the oven, he acted like he gets that all the time. I don’t know, maybe he does.

Below is a stock photo of the oven with Nicky D himself. Last time I was there I spoke with him awhile. He says that he has quite a celebrity list of people who order from there. Seems the place is high profile amongst the movie and rock stars. He even claimed that Michael Jackson in the week at Staples Center before his death had ordered pizza from Nicky D.
Nicky D is somewhat of a celebrity himself. He used to do a lot of small time acting in commercials and movies. One notable roll was a pizza guy in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II.
Anyway on to the pizza...
I opened the box and it looked pretty good. It's the only pizzas I’ve found that was not perfectly round, other than those oblong shapes they make on purpose. The crust, like hardend lava had molded to its natural form as it expanded in the fire.
The crust seemed a little under cooked, it could have been a little crisper. But it was better than it looked, the edge was crispy and doughy and flexible all at the same time, plus it had a little chared wood fire taste. It didn’t puff up at the edge like some do, but that was ok for me.
I very decent crust that had good flavor and texture.
The pizza was really greasy and had a little too much cheese and not quite enough sauce. The oil can be blamed on the heavy cheese. The thin crust became pretty soggy and droopy with all the oil. Definitely not a eat-while-you-drive pizza.
Last time I went I got a smaller margherita pizza. It had freshly sliced tomatoes with no sauce and it was less blanketed with cheese. Still the same crust.
That being said, it was pretty tasty, the cheese and sauce still tasted good, even though the proportions were a little off. The crust was good as well even if it was a bit under cooked.



2764 Rowena Ave. Silverlake 90039
Price: $
Overall:
Nicky D's Wood-Fired Pizza Cafe on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

  1. Sadly my last trip there recently left me shortchanged in the flavor dept. Also, the pizza didn't stay hot. I almost thought it had sat there cuz someone didn't pick it up so they gave it to me. :(

    LC

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife and I went to Nicky D's today for lunch and ordered a margherita pizza and a cheese pizza with pepperoni and green olives (both are thin crust pizzas). Both pizzas had raw, uncooked dough. I personally walked the pizza back to the oven area and asked that the pizza be cooked to "crispy". About 7 minutes later the pizzas came back and they were still raw. We both at some of the pizzas anyway and we both had stomach aches within 15 minutes of leaving the restaurant. When the check came I pointed out the raw dough on the pizzas to the waitress and I said that I was disappointed. She said that sometimes the pizzas come out that way when they have vegetables?!? Any pizza place that cannot figure out how to bake a thin crust should go into another business. If I could rate this place a zero, I would. I wish I could have my $45 back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait a second...this men made pizzas in this type of oven? this is the best way to prepare a pizza, the flavor obtained in this process is totally different to others process, well the next time that I be for this city, this will be the place in where I will go to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was about to say something on this topic. But now i can see that everything on this topic is very amazing and mind blowing, so i have nothing to say here. I am just going through all the topics and being appreciated. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Pizza Video Reviews

Find Your Local Pizza:

Pizza name or zip code

LA Pizza